Monday, October 5, 2009

Life...Love and the Pursuit of Happiness..

So this post from taynementy got me thinking before..then i put my thoughts on hold until today... These are not long thoughts...just semi-complete..sometimes incomplete sentences..about those three things in the title....

On Life..so the big deal in school today is about one of the 2009 Nobel Laureates for Medicine and Physiology..Carol Greider . They discovered the enzyme telomerase and i had typed stuff about it but it somehow got deleted and i dont feel like typing it again...it has something to do with cancer and aging...
you know who might have waaay more telomerase than normal people? George Hamilton..like this dude doesn't seem to age!! Has anyone sequenced his DNA? he could be the source of several cures..i tell you..look at his pictures from the '50's, 80's and today...this dude is 70!...then again maybe it's the tanning...and the botox..but even before botox men...!




Anyhoo...Greider is like 48 now with a husband and 2 kids......they made this discovery when she was 23 and in her first year of grad. school....So when i heard..my first reaction was like...good for her..followed closely by a second which was...um..yo girl is 3 years late on the Nobel-worthy discovery tip..but i have twenty two years before i hit that 48 mark!
And then i thought...I mean i would like my work to be meaningful and helpful to mankind..but seriously that's not what gets me up in the morning..I just really want to do the best I can in that one day and make it through the day onto the next. And i want to love what i do. So I'm praying for God's vision and wisdom on that...maybe if i didn't watch so much TV..I'd have more time for other stuff :D



On Love..went to a friend's wedding this past whirlwind weekend..and it was nice catching up with the peeps...and chilling with my neph!!!Every time i see him i want to relocate so i can see him everyday! :( He's barrels of fun!!! Sha sha...the wedding was interesting. The bride was beautiful..her wedding dress was gorgy!! The only lil damper was a lil speech given about the cake before the "first feeding" and how it was supposed to be bringing us...uncouth lil folks a slice of culture by including a leaf covered statue of the Eiffel Tower...end verbal diarrhea....Oh yes! yo girl caught the bouquet!!! LMAO...teeeheee....it was quite comical really...especially when my mom came over to hug me like i had accomplished some feat..when nobody else really wanted to catch it...single ladies be fronting sha!! Moms followed it up by asking me when i was getting married...to which i promptly replied:"two years"...:D. Trust my pops to act like nothing happened!
Sooooo not the point of this paragraph sha.....point was...I know we are all at that age and everythang where...our career goals might be looking like it's getting somewhere...and we are done partying and bs-ing...and therefore...feel the need to jump the broom...but my prayer is that everyone who wants to get married finds the right person to jump the right broom with..not cuz it's the "logical" next step but because that's who they want to spend their happily ever after with. Amen



On the pursuit of happiness...you know what makes me happy? ..every morning at 7am...my alarm is set to 860AM radio..so i wake up to Dr. Robert Cook's "walk with the King"...i thought it was just a 15 minute morning devotional..but apparently I've been missing like 40 minutes of it! Ha!..anyway..i think those last 15 minutes are when he summarizes. I love it because it just puts me in the right mind frame for the day. Instead of rushing to get ready like my roommate (who i beat to class everyday anyway!!)...i get those 15 minutes to relax and reflect on the blessings of the day before and the challenges of the day...
My neph..makes me happy...
My friends and family being healthy and happy makes me happy...
Resto makes me happy...
School....ha! not so much...but life after school definitely makes me happy...
erm...glad to see that some ppl had nice weekends..thanks for the prayers on Friday....I'm sure they were answered.
@Myne..thanks for visiting and commenting!!!
mini rant!!....Guys..you might think you don't have an expiration date..but y'all do...looking like old uncles at the club...if you like don't go settle down and find a wife...when younger girls see you what they're really thinking is "EWWWW..why is this old guy who looks like my uncle trying to holla". And for the love of 1997...please stop posing with fake gang signs and the peace sign..maybe it's just me but the hell!!...stop it!! guys and girls...stop it now!
Now that i have properly wasted 2 hours of my life typing and browsing...i must now go do what I'm supposed to be doing. And i was looking forward to watching Mulan today! :(








8 comments:

TayneMent said...

I think I actually enjoy reading your posts, if only you posted more frequently.

I was happy you caught the bouquet too. I didn't even know you caught it, but when I was told I was happy and jumped up to find you lol!

Kate said...

chei..see my life..wait you didnt come up to dance single ladies? even after you got called out? smh

TayneMent said...

I did. I was up there and why you say see my life?

Myne said...

Aww, you caught a bouquet? Ahh, the wedding is in 2years? LOL.

Nice post.

Anonymous said...

followed a link from blog to blog and finally landed here. this is a real mismash!

'Congratulations' on catching the bouquet

neuyogi said...

Lol at your mom ...Go win that Nobel chile!

Nice Anon said...

This girl! You are all over the place. Kai!

Kate said...

@ Virgo...cuz why was u excited for me...like i need a bouquet to get married?
@ Myne..lol..that's what i told her.
@ allmyunspoken..thanks!!
@ MPB...sighs...can't i just get married and be a housewife? it's noble..
@Nicey...it's psychological..i can't help it :(