Thursday, January 3, 2008

Love...and Death

So, I was jejely having a pretty good day actually. I can check off one thing on my to do list! YAY me! when my friend gave me this blog to read. Sorry to the blogger for exposing it to my many many readers *yeah right*, but it IS on the internet. She writes about really sad issues in a relationship and all the things she went through as a result of it.
I know that God only gives us what we can handle...but can I please request not having to handle that. Well, ok I'm older than she was, but even in my old age, I can't.
I'm wondering if one of the main reasons(among others of course), why Nigerian marriages last-- on average is because of the strict guidelines that parents place(d) on their children...more so back in the day than today.
He must be from your village
He must have ten cows
His family must have more than one son etc etc.
Not that this really has anything to do with what type of person he is. But it reduces the amount of "other issues" that may come up in the relationship.
Dunno, am just thinking out loud.
So, it's safe to argue that, hopefully, being a younger, more open-minded generation, growing up in completely different circumstances than most of our parents and their parents before them...some of "those issues" are things that are overlooked now.
Me sha o, I know I've sworn off the whole love and dating thing this year :). *SHUT UP*
But, while I dont really see myself marrying a muslim or a catholic...person doesnt necessarily have to be igbo. Nigerian tho. My poor parents.
They'll be ok, I have fully established myself as the rebel, so it'll be easier for everyone involved.

I know relationships are hard, but at least even if you break up with someone, they're not gone forever (or till we meet to part no more).
I consider myself quite blessed because I haven't lost too many ppl that I'm close to. Only my great-grandmother, my grandpa and my little baby cousin Emmanuel that I never got to know. This scares me..especially since my Grandma, who i love dearlyis pretty old. I'm grateful for the time I get to spend with her. I'm grateful that she is a christian so I know i'll see her in heaven. I'm grateful that she's still spry and has her wits about her and that her soups and stews are still the best I've ever tasted. I can't even begin to feel the pain of ppl that have lost those close to them. It happens everyday...on one hand, yes I understand that this earth is only temporary but to not be able to call/see/talk to someone till then. sighs. I'm not a big confronter of death, especially my own mortality. I don't think I'm ready to talk about it yet. I should blog about it for posterity but not yet...how do i end this post?

No comments: